Thanks to everyone for coming to tryouts on Tuesday morning! Just some announcements…
Concussion testing will be held tomorrow, November 19th, at 3:45 PM in rooms 222 and 223.
If you have not done so already, please bring your swimsuit/clothing order form and swim and dive specific registration form tomorrow morning.
Looking ahead: We will only have one practice offered next week (Tuesday 11/24). Everyone is expected to attend one practice per week. According to county rules, athletes must compete in six out of seven meets to compete in post championship meets (divisionals, metros, regionals, states).
If you cannot attend our first meet (November 28th, 7:30 PM MLK), please let Coach Rawson know in writing as soon as possible.
Concussion testing will be on November 18th and 19th between 3:00-5:00 (room is still to be determined)
The swimming team handbook is also attached below
Swim Team Handbook 2015
All paperwork must be turned in on November 11th or 12th from 2:45-6:15 PM in room 101 (Updated 11/11/2015)
Nighttime Medical Care offers a $20 Sports Clearance exam from Tuesday-Thursday 10am-3 pm ((888) 808-6483, myRighttime.com)
The Booster Club (http://www.blairboosters.org/) works with Blair’s Athletic Director, school administration, teams, and coaches to promote and support the more than 1,000 student athletes — one Blair Booster Club; 45 teams; One Blair!
The Booster Club provides supplies, services, and equipment to supplement MCPS funds. Recently, student athletes have benefited from Booster Club investments in timers and a tent for the track team, the stadium scoreboard, wrestling mats, weight room equipment, trophy cases and more.
Approximately 50% of the budgets for HS athletic departments within MCPS come from MCPS and ticket sales — boosters helps fill in the rest. The difference between schools is significant: Blair’s athletic budget averages $163k for 3,000 students whereas 8 of our peers (e.g., Churchill, RM, BCC, etc) have budgets of $200-250k for 2,000 students. This impacts the support we can hire, equipment we can purchase, and activities we can offer to students. Blair Boosters relies on volunteers to help close that gap by managing and staffing concessions, membership, apparel sales, and our spring mulch sale. Boosters’ funds increase the Blair Athletic Department’s ability to meet its budget of program needs, wants and larger program facilities upgrades and improvements (i.e. scoreboard and outside storage).
If you enjoy Blair Athletics, please consider becoming involved:
- Become a member of the Booster club: Join online today (https://squareup.com/market/Blair_Boosters).
- Attend the next Booster Club meeting on Monday, Nov. 9th at 7 pm in the Blair Media Center. Come with your ideas or just come to hear what we are doing.
- Designate Blair Boosters to receive support from Amazon when you make an Amazon purchase. Simply sign-up through Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/), designate Blair Boosters (Montgomery Blair Athletic Association) as your recipient and every time you make a purchase through Amazon (as long as you’re logged into your AmazonSmile account), Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase price to Blair. Same amazon prices, same items, same shipping for you; funds for Blair!
- Join the Blair Boosters listerv to keep up with what we are doing and how you can help (email email@example.com to join the listserv).
Questions or ideas, please contact Booster Club President, Kirsten Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Hey Blazers! We will be holding two pre-season interest meetings for all current and prospective members on Wednesday, October 28th at 7:15 AM and 2:45 PM
Let’s also welcome Brianna Forte as our junior captain!
The 4A-3A Meet will be held on Tuesday, March 3rd at the PG Sports and Learning Complex (801 Sheriff Road, Hyattsville, MD 20785)
- 1:30 p.m. Workers will check-in near the pool area.
- 2:00 p.m. Teams can start entering the pool.
- 2:30 p.m. Officials Meeting – Small classroom
- 2:45 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. – Open Swim Warm-Ups
- 2:45 p.m. Coaches meeting – Guard Room
- 3:15 p.m. Timer Meeting (TBD)
- 3:45 p.m. Pool clears of ALL Warm-ups; preliminary announcements and Welcome
- 3:50 p.m. National Anthem
- 4:00 p.m. Event 1 commences
- 8:00 p.m. (Estimated) Meet will conclude: awards will be presented for event 17-24 + team awards
- Coaches will be in the check-in area to issue deck passes.
- Seating Area: There will be no assigned team areas. We ask that teams be respectful of the space being used. Keep athletes in close proximity.
- Teams may bring food. No glass items!
- Warm-Ups: Competition Pool: (Far end pool) Open swim only from 2:45 – 3:15 p.m. Starting at 3:15 – 3:45 – one way dive sprints. Other pools (middle and one closest to the entrance) : open swim from 2:45 – 3:45 p.m.
- Awards Presentations:
- Event 8 concludes; awards for event 1-8
- Event 16 concludes; awards for 11-16
- Event 24 concludes; awards for 17-24 and team awards
The end of season banquet is approaching! Attached is the emailed flier with detailed information.
In order to participate in this meet, swimmers and divers have to achieve qualifying times (or # of dives learned). If your athlete has qualified, he/she has already been informed. In two weeks we go to Regionals. In general, this is the 2 fastest swimmers per event (though there is a max. of 2 individual events and 2 relays per swimmer) and again, Divers must know a certain # of dives. Emily/Zick will most likely release a list of athletes participating in Regionals next week. More info. about those 2 meets in next week’s notes.
Hey Blazers! There will be a MANDATORY meeting tomorrow during lunch. Attendance will be taken; see you then!
Concussion Testing: Thursday, 11/20 from 2:45-3:30 pm (go whenever you are done with your classes for the day). Hallway outside computer lab
Parent meeting: Thursday, 11/20 6:30 pm (Blair auditorium)
First Dive Practice: TODAY, MLK 3-4:30 pm